Saturday, March 1, 2014

challenge 4 art #4...


The Challenge 4 Art group theme for this quarter was "SPACE". I decided to do a straight interpretation and was inspired by galactic nebula which are interstellar rings made of dust clouds and gases. You can see lots of beautiful images here.


While the most photographed examples are quite bright, the majority are subtle in color. I cut out rings backed with fusible interfacing.


After adhering them to the background, I used a decorative stitch in grey thread to finish the edges and blend them with the background.


The quilting is echo on the black only to accent the rings.


I was really taken with Amy's beautiful handwork for "WINTER" in our last challenge and was going to embroider stars. In the end I decided to keep the quilt very abstract, low contrast and moody.

Check out what LisaAmy and Claudia created for "SPACE"!



Lily's Quilts

18 comments:

  1. and another great interpretation of the theme! I just saw Amys piece :-) You made a wonderful mini!! I really love the idea and your fabric choices fit perfectly. Plus the fun stiching makes a great space-piece.. Love it!!
    claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! I wanted to do something clean and simple this time. Looking forward to seeing what you, Amy & L made too:)

      Delete
  2. Love your interpretation of space! The echo quilting on your background is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Improving my quilting is one of the goals for 2014. These minis are the perfect size for practice...

      Delete
  3. Very nice! And you stitching is so beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nedra! Must say that it is easy to get it right on a small piece. The next challenge is to be happy with the stitching on a bed size quilt:)

      Delete
  4. Wow! I'm so impressed. Love the circles, the colors and the abstract interpretation. Your quilting is "out of this world" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnn! It was fun to work to a theme and practice my FMQ. Now I've got to try quilting a big piece...

      Delete
  5. so cool! i love the decorative stitches are so cool, very space indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! All these sewing machines have decorative stitches and all I ever use is a straight stitch. Thought I'd try it out a different one:)

      Delete
  6. love how you represented 'space'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interpretation! The rings look like have so much extra dimension from those stitches - very clever!! Sorry I have been quiet - I just returned from a short break so I am just getting caught up now that I have internet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! So glad you have internet again but it is good to go "off the grid" every so often just to make sure we can survive isn't it? ;)

      Delete
  8. I think my favorite part is the decorative stitch you used--I love what it adds to the circles! Your quilting is great, too! Curious--did you cut all the rings by hand? After two projects with circles, I'm about ready to get some kind of circle cutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a die cutter to cut the rings. If you buy one you'll never look back:)

      Delete