Monday, December 16, 2013

retro clean...



As for many, it is a busy time of year and my hours other than work seem to consist of shopping, wrapping and shipping gifts to far-flung family members and friends. Wanted to give an update on the dirty Dresden blocks that I first blogged about here.  After some research, I found this product called Retro Clean that is nothing short of miraculous. It is a cleaning soak that removes yellowing, mildew and all kinds of stains from vintage fabrics. In the interests of "science" I have taken both before and after shots in the same place and in roughly the same light. Here is one of the blocks before...




You can soak the fabric for up to 36 hours but I chickened out after 12. The amount of yellow dirt that immediately came out was incredible...




A quick rinse and wash and here is the result. The after picture does not do true justice to how renewed the blocks look. I wish I'd left them in for even longer. This level of cleaning has made me re-think donating a number of ancient linens and vintage embroideries.




"Retro Clean" and "Retro Wash" are so good, they'll make you feel like Billy Mays!



10 comments:

  1. That is so good to know. I've seen the product at Trade Shows, and wondered if it really worked. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Nedra! I love when products live up to their advertising...

      Delete
  2. That was amazing! I will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is amazing! I hope it is safe for the blocks in the long term but you do wash the fabric after the soak...

      Delete
  3. wow. I have already appliqued my old, yellowed antique Dresden blocks to fresh dark blue backing. I wonder how that product would affect the new cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be worth testing on a scrap! The only problem might be some puckering if your blue fabric wasn't pre-washed...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It really lives up to its advertising!

      Delete
  5. I bought some of this and am anxious to try it out on a box of vintage fabrics from my Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it helpful! It did make my fabrics a bit stiff but that went away after a regular wash:)

      Delete