Thursday, April 4, 2013

non-stop sarah fielke...



Just finished watching the best online course with quilt author and fabric designer extraordinaire Sarah Fielke on Craftsy. Her class is called "Big Techniques from Small Scraps". Ten hours of HD instruction later, I've learned all kinds of interesting quilting techniques such as step-down piecing, applique, improvisational piecing specifically curves, big stitching and some fascinating ways to use specialty rulers. Sarah is a super teacher as she is very clear and precise but never dry. It was so great to be able to watch this at any time and in any attire. The price of the course varies depending on the site's specials but is an absolute bargain compared to flying to Australia or Houston to take a class with her in person. There are lively discussions after each lesson and students are encouraged to ask questions and post pictures of their work. You can also watch the course over and over again. I've been too busy to make the class assignments so am going to repeat the lessons this time sewing along. You can sign up here

In a strange synchronicity, her new book which I pre-ordered months ago arrived today..


As I expected "Hand Quilted With Love" is filled with beautiful quilts all made in Sarah's distinctive style which can best be described as clean and fresh. There are a variety of skill-building projects and like her online course the instructions and technical information are outstanding. She includes directions to make all the projects in multiple sizes and encourages you to use what fabric you have. I've had medallion quilts on the brain for ages after seeing the quilts being made at Bloomin Workshop and more recently the tea towel challenge  at 15 Minutes Play. The book's cover quilt "Made to Measure" has already spawned a sew-along organized by Lynne at LilyQuilts. You can see her beautiful top in progress. It is going to be a stunner. 

Here is Sarah's original quilt...


"Made to Measure"

And below another great medallion quilt that grew around a cherished piece of vintage fabric...


"Lady Marmalade"

And for something different, LOVE the striped background on this one!



"All That and the Hatter"

One of the many things I adore about Sarah Fielke is her dislike of labels. She considers herself both a modern and traditional quilter. The book is filled with lots of visual inspiration even if you never sew from other people's patterns. You can purchase her wonderful "Hand Quilted With Love" here and read more about the artist herself here.

14 comments:

  1. I saw where Sarah was teaching a class with Craftsy. I've always admired her work, and have purchased all of her books. So glad to hear the class was good and that you learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nedra, If you are a fan you should definitely take the class... Going to school in your PJs is so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Great recommendation. Thanks! The one Craftsy class I've watched was on free motion quilting by Cindy Needham. Excellent. I watched it while I was unpicking my crummy fmq!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FMQ? I really need to take that class!!!

      Delete
  3. Such a fun book! Love all the quilts you have posted. Modern and traditional.. I must say that's what I like about quilting.
    Medallion quilts are fun.. it's like working on a new quilt as it grows. Hope you start one soon. Can;t wait to see what you would do with your fun colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujata! I like the idea of a new quilt with each row- Deciding what to sew as you go...

      Delete
  4. I took that class too! I really loved her tip on making bias stems. I haven't tried it yet but plan on soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it great! I learned new things in every lesson...

      Delete
  5. I'm signing up for it. If you say it's good, then it must be good. And I dig Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may already have her skill set but I sure got lots out of it!

      Delete
  6. It really is a great class! I've made a baby quilt using the step down piecing technique and have got my needle turn appliqué piece all ready to take here there and everywhere when I have some time to stitch. Sarah's work and teaching style are so inspiring, I would highly recommend taking her class on Craftsy, and check out her intro video on hand quilting.

    Great post, hanging out for my copy of the book as well (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to try hand quilting and must check out her video... Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Following this post I immediately ordered the book by Sarah Fielke and it arrived yesterday - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great- What are you going to make first?!

      Delete