Thursday, April 18, 2013

design wall...


Wanted to write something thoughtful about this week's events but words fail. Will cling to the belief that the good people on this earth outnumber the bad... 

A relatively trivial subject that I can write about is the issue of a permanent design wall. Unfortunately, the perimeter of my sewing space is filled with storage cabinets. While I greatly admire Katie's solution, M. is quite adamant that my creative process not be on display in our living room and other shared parts of the house. 

Am very excited to report that Glorious Color is selling grey and gridded design wall flannel! Some designers think it is easier to look at color against a neutral rather than white which can be a bit distracting. Hopefully this weekend, the fabric will be wrapped around this pink stuff:


The fabric-covered insulation boards will then be mounted to these three:


4x8' very sturdy wheeled department store fixtures that we found for $20 at a retailer that was being replaced by a Target. You could make something similar with partition walls from an office supply store. The new design walls will be portable and double-sided. They can roll where needed and I can still access my supplies... Can't wait! Do you use a design wall and if so how did you make it???


12 comments:

  1. Wow! You get the prize for best design walls. Never seen rolling ones. I love my gray background. Grided gray is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnn! Here's hoping the execution goes well. Sometimes making our DIY projects can look like an episode of "I Love Lucy" or the "Three Stooges" minus a Stooge...

      Delete
  2. I do have a design wall and love it! It makes looking at things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Current method is table top or taping flannel or batting to the cupboards and having it unstick just when I've found the perfect layout so I'm pretty excited by this project!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic idea - thanks very much for the tip!
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda! I love that gridded fabric...

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of grey gridded flannel and your roll away walls. My current design wall is a flannel sheet tacked to a wall of my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! That is a neat and easy solution. You might find the grid useful. It is quite heavy so I don't think it will distort when hung...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. We'll see?! Like I wrote above- ambition is high. Let's see if we can complete the mission!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete